Pages

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Sick Chicken: 1/25/2014






1/25/2014

So it has been a few days and my sick little hen has had 2 more Epsom Salt spa baths. I have noticed she has different stages of breath:
  • Closed beak
  • Slightly open beak
  • Wide open beak
  • Wide open beak and heaving chest. 

This all depends on the fluid build up pushing against her lungs and/or the stress of moving her.

Anyways, I have decided to try and remove the liquid in her abdomen myself! I was given some insulin needles, they are very tiny but it was a good start for me.
After her last soak, I dried her off, and let her cuddle up to me. She buried her head on my lap and I began with the first needle. She did flinch but I don't think it hurt her. The liquid that came out was a clear/ brownish fluid. I was hurried to use the other 2 on her as well because she started to close her eyes and her breathing got very bad!
I used the last 2 needles and got 100 units cc full of liquid out of her, no blood!!! 
( I'm not sure if those measurements are right but that's what it said on needle barrel)

So I did it! She survived! And we will do another liquid removal when I get some more needles :D
I'm going to try and get some bigger barrel needles though, these hardly got any liquid out...
Although, I would like to add on a happier note:
She is doing WAY better!!! She has been breathing with her beak closed and still is very alert and eating!

On a bad note, she had a clear liquid draining from her all night.. I don't think it is from the needle holes I left, they were very tiny.
Perhaps she had water in her vent? Or was passing some liquid inside her?
Not sure...
I will update with a new post when something changes

No comments:

Post a Comment