Pages

Friday, January 31, 2014

Sick Chicken: 1/30/2014 *Graphic*

1) What type of bird , age and weight?
This is what she looks like. Possible a Rhode Island Red (?) We do not know how old she is because she just showed up at our house one day (she is AT LEAST a year old though), her weight was the same as other hens, but now she is VERY heavy from the liquid in her abdomen!


2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Hasn't been laying eggs, waddles around.
Is perky, eats, drinks, and poops normally.
She clucks and coos from time to time.
When she is moved or startled her breathing gets worse (E.G. She can breath with her beak closed or wide open and straining her neck)

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
She has been like this over 2 weeks now.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
I have had other hens like this and they died. She is the only one like this right now though.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Prior to me bringing her inside she only had the swollen abdomen.
Now she has a small split in her back end. (not sure if from the syringe hole, a rooster trying to hop on her and mate, or if ripping from the liquid build up)
I have just put some Betadine on this cut.


6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
At first, I thought she might be EGG BOUND. I felt for an egg- Did not feel one-, lubed her up, and soaked her in Epsom salt water and massaged her belly. So I am not sure if she is egg bound or if something else.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She has been drinking some water and a little olive oil I added to it. She has been eating cracked corn, starter feed, and laying pellets mixed. I have also let her snack on some bread and gave her about 2 Sardines.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
The poop looks normal, maybe even a little dry?

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
I have soaked her for 30 minutes in Epsom salt water- about 5 times so far.
​Used a small Insulin Syringe to remove some liquid- about 200cc removed.- not much.
I have lubed her vent with vaseline.- felt my finger inside her for egg- felt nothing.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I feel like I can treat her myself. 

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.



12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
I currently keep her inside, in a box, with newspaper on the bottom. She has a heat lamp I turn on above her. And 24/7 feed and water.





Notes:
I recently bought five 21g x 1.5 3mL Syringes I plan on using to remove more liquid. I feel like its causing pressure on her lungs and that's why shes breathing so bad.
Are these okay to use? I worry the needle is too big :[
I wanted to use a catheter on her but worry that will be too uncomfortable for her..

No comments:

Post a Comment